Agencies Leo Burnett and Arc Worldwide have found out who “multichannel shoppers” are and how their behavior affects retailers and brands. According to a study by Leo Burnett and Arc Worldwide, 86% of Russians buy goods using an average of 5 channels and spend twice as much time shopping as Europeans or Americans. Also in Russia they like to experiment, look for new items, buy fashion brands, sparing no expense for purchases. These are the conclusions reached by experts from Leo Burnett and Arc Worldwide, having conducted a large international study of the phenomenon of "multichannel shopper". The magazine writes about it branded.ru
The study was conducted in 4 countries: USA, UK, France and Russia. Residents of 13 cities, including Moscow, St. Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Samara, Omsk, Kazan, Chelyabinsk, Rostov-on-Don, Ufa, Volgograd and Perm, participated in the Russian study. More than 6 of thousands of customers aged from 18 to 64 years were surveyed (in Russia, the maximum age was limited to 45 years). The behavior of “multi-channel buyers” was analyzed according to three key characteristics: product category (20 categories in the West and 12 categories in Russia), the buyer himself and the channel used in the process of making a purchase. A total of 10 channels were studied, including: television, the Internet, a store, a mobile phone, mailing lists, magazines, advertising catalogs, etc. The purchase process in the study refers to the period of time that the buyer goes from the moment he gets to know the product to make the purchase .
The study revealed 6 archetypes of buyers, whose knowledge in the future can help brands, retailers and marketers to more effectively interact with consumers:
1. Thrifty buyers (Strategic Savers) - hunters for special offers and discounts, are not tied to a specific brand, prefer to buy more, but cheaper, are strictly limited by the budget, before making their choice, they will study the subject of purchase in detail.
2. Motivated by the price (Dollar Defaulters) - only the price affects the decision to buy, like goods under the brand name of the retail network (private labels), are indifferent to the brands.
3. Adherents of quality (Quality Devotees) are loyal consumers of the same brand, focused on premium, connoisseurs of quality products, well aware of the subject of purchase, do not compromise.
4. Moderately addicted buyers (Savvy Passionistas) - do not spare money on purchases, experimenters, look for new products, are focused on prestige, experience the pleasure of buying fashion brands.
5. Seekers of the best option (Opportunistic Adventurers) are always ready to go shopping in search of new opportunities and finds, they are looking for especially advantageous offers, impulsive buyers.
6. Efficiency Sprinters - strictly follow a specific goal, buy according to a pre-prepared list, save time, value comfort and fragmented customers when shopping.
The study showed that in Russia there are most buyers of the third and fourth type. When choosing channels, multi-channel buyers are most often guided by two criteria: risk and return. Moreover, the more channels are used, the higher the probability of making a purchase.
Details in the magazine Shoes ReportNo. 86.